Current:Home > FinanceBenjamin Ashford|Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -CapitalTrack
Benjamin Ashford|Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 00:47:37
Paula Abdul and Benjamin AshfordNigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (429)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Searchers find a missing plane and human remains in Michigan’s Lake Huron after 17 years
- Bowl projections: Preseason picks for who will make the 12-team College Football Playoff
- NFL cuts 2024: Recapping major moves on Tuesday's roster cutdown day
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Mae Whitman Gives Birth, Names Her First Baby After Parenthood Costar
- American Idol's Scotty McCreery Stops Show After Seeing Man Hit Woman in the Crowd
- The Paralympic Games are starting. Here’s what to expect as 4,400 athletes compete in Paris
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Residents in Boston suburb raised $20K after town officials shut down boy’s ice cream stand
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Marathon Match: Longest US Open match since at least 1970 goes a grueling 5 hours, 35 minutes
- Woman files suit against White Sox after suffering gunshot wound at 2023 game
- Sports Reporter Malika Andrews Marries Dave McMenamin at the Foot of Golden Gate Bridge
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- CDC reports 5 more deaths, new cases in Boar's Head listeria outbreak since early August
- Court revives Sarah Palin’s libel lawsuit against The New York Times
- Following protests, DeSantis says plan to develop state parks is ‘going back to the drawing board’
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Walmart's 2024 Labor Day Mega Sale: Score a $65 Mattress + Save Up to 78% on Apple, Bissell, Dyson & More
Breaks in main water pipeline for Grand Canyon prompt shutdown of overnight hotel stays
Harris and Walz are kicking off a 2-day bus tour in Georgia that will culminate in Savannah rally
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Bristol Palin Details “Gut-Wrenching” Way Her 15-Year-Old Son Tripp Told Her He Wanted to Live With Dad
Who aced the NHL offseason? Grading all 32 teams on their moves
Museum opens honoring memory of Juan Gabriel, icon of Latin music